The Tell Us Once Service

Once the Death has been registered, with your permission the Registrar can help you to inform the appropriate government departments and local council services by completing a simple and secure form called the Tell Us Once Service

Extra to the details provided when registering the death you will require this additional information;

  • National Insurance number
  • Driving licence/number
  • Passport/passport number along with Town & Country of Birth
  • Details of any benefits or entitlements which were received, eg State Pension
  • Details of any local council services which were received, eg Blue Badge, Library Services

The following departments will be notified on your behalf;

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) – to deal with Tax & benefits cancellation
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – to deal with benefits cancellation
  • The Identity & Passport Service – passport cancellation
  • The Local Council/Authority – to cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and removal of the person from the electoral register
  • Ministry of defence – for service personnel including the veterans agency

They will also tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to cancel the deceased’s driving licence. You will still need to send the DVLA any vehicle registration certificates such as the V5C

In addition the registrar may also ask for the contact details of the following;

  • The next of kin
  • A surviving husband wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with the estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’
  • Anyone who is receiving child benefit on behalf of the deceased

If you should provide information about any of the persons listed directly above & you are not the next of kin, you must have their permission to do so.

24hr Contact Telephone:

01288 359277