skip to Main Content

24hr - 01288 359277 (Bude) / 01566 785340 (Launceston)

What documents and information are required to register a death?

In order to register the death of a loved one, you will need to provide certain documents and information about them.

We are here to assist you with the registration process should you need help, accompany you to the registrar’s office if you feel this would provide some support, and if you have no transport available, we can offer to pick you up and take you there.

We have listed below the documents and information that will be required by the registrar to help make the registration process easier for you;

Documentation Required;

  • The Medical Certificate of Cause of Death
  • Medical card of the person that has died, or their National Health Service number (if either are available)
  • Birth Certificate (if available)
  • Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate (if available)

Information Required;

  • The full name of the person that has died
  • The date and place of their death
  • Their address
  • Their date of birth
  • Their occupation
  • Their marital status
  • The date & birth of any surviving partner
  • Whether or not they were in receipt of any pension or allowance from public funds

If your loved one was married and female then the following information is also required;

  • Her maiden name
  • Her husband’s or civil partner’s full name
  • Her husband’s or civil partner’s last occupation even if they have also died

The informant/person registering the death must also provide the registrar with the following information about themselves;

  • Their name & surname
  • Qualification/relationship to the person that has died
  • Their address

The Registrar will then issue;

  • The registrars certificate for burial or cremation – this is a green form that must be handed to the funeral director
  • A certificate of registration or notification of death – this is a white form to organise payments of pensions/allowances/benefits from the department for work and pensions
  • Certified copies of the entry into the register are obtainable from the registrar on payment of the prescribed fee.